Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fantastic Carnitas...

After being sick for more than a week I woke up the other day feeling like a million bucks! I walked for a mile and on my way home I stopped by the market to pick up a few ingredients for carnitas... I started out with some cheap pork;
Onion, Lime, Serrano Chiles, & Tomatillos...

Tomatillos are the strangest vegetables to me, they have an ugly paper skin, yet when you peel it off and wash them, you get the most beautiful citusy little green tomato thing underneath...
I boiled them till they were nice and soft...
Then tossed them in the blender for a sour puree...

To cut down on the heat I split and seeded the serrano chiles...
Once the puree was cooled I added diced onion, the chiles, and some fresh lime juice...
I dumped it all in the crock pot over the pork and 8 hours later I had a pot full of heaven...

somehow in my mad gobbling I missed the finished shot, you will have to trust me that the pork was amazingly fantastic...

2 comments:

maria said...

hahaha!!! I have a feeling you were born into the wrong culture!!! ;) part of me thinks you should of been Mexican!!! you eat more spicy foods and pork than I do!!! ;)

Nicole Leonard said...

Looks like someone puked in your crock pot.