Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thanksgiving...

Thanksgiving was fun this year. Missed not having my Mom and Jim around but the house was still full of people I love... Sheri and the kids came this year so it was great having little ones running around...

This year I did my first fried turkey.... Basically you get a pot of boiling oil and slowly lower the bird in...
Not only have I heard that they are delicious but, they cook fast as well... this 18 pound turkey took just under 1 hour to cook in the bubbling peanut oil. The temperature has to be monitored the whole time so I will have to remember that I need someone out there watching next year...

When it's done you simply lift it out and let it drain... I used the thermometer to test all the thick areas and it was piping hot all the way through... and so crispy!

Bryce was bouncing around in the kitchen waiting for me to slice the bird up...

The skin was crunchy - just like fried chicken - and the meat (including the white) was very moist and tender... 12 people ate about 15 pounds of turkey... pretty impressive
I really scaled back this year, but we still had all the favorites; mashed potatoes...

Rich turkey gravy (I had to make it by baking the neck and giblets)

Cranberries

Sweet potato casserole... yuk... I'm glad the others liked this - not my favorite...

Stuffing from the crock pot - super moist and bouncy...

and of course we could never go without the green bean casserole...

It was quite a spread...

The table was quiet for a while as everyone gobbled...
After all the eating we played with the kids and just relaxed...

We have so much to be thankful for in this country...

No comments: