Saturday, July 31, 2010

Texas Fried Steak...

My Grandma Bowman was a dear woman... crude, rude, hilarious! She came to visit often when I was a kid and we would sit around playing poker while listening to stories about Chicago in the 1930s - needless to say her stories were very colorful... Just as rich as her stories was her Texas Fried Steak... crunchy and tender, coated with gravy... I have fond memories of her standing over a sizzling frying pan...

I decided to whip up the steak for Carmen on Saturday... I started with flour, salt & pepper...

Then I sliced thin strips of cubed steak and tossed them in...
The next important step was to make the gravy... I made the rue out of chopped up hamburger patties and a whole lotta grease!
A little salt, pepper, water and some more flour and the gravy was just perfect...

I threw some instant mashed potatoes together (another childhood favorite)

and lunch was served! Crunchy Texas Fried Steak, mashed potatoes and home made beef gravy... it was so good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks good mary!