Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Delicious Misunderstanding...

So I have grown to love shopping at Cardenas (the Latin themed market by my Dad's store) they have crazy deals each week and often I find products there that you can't get anywhere else (because other markets wouldn't dare carry some of the items). The only hard part is all of the employees speak only Spanish - for all intensive purposes it's like setting foot into Mexico. So I was perusing the meat counter this week looking for some Cornish game hens (a product they didn't teach me how to translate in Spanish class). When I could not find them I asked the guy behind the counter "oye: no tienen Cornish game hens? me intendes; como pollo chiquitos" and the guy tells me $19.99 which really didn't answer my question - so I tell him in Spanish "$20 for a little chicken! which he says no; that is for the case. So I go ahead and clarify that I only want 2 not a whole case. He smiles and we both laugh, then he proceeds to grab two (which are split at the breast) from a bin and wrap them up for me. Now I was really looking for whole hens and just trying to get the price and look at the quality. But before I knew it; I was being handed a bag with two hens in it and he was helping the next customer; which was OK I guess till I saw the price tag: $9 for two little hens! I didn't really want them; heck I could buy a whole big chicken for $3! but I was stuck... so I took them back to the store, dredged them in some flour and angrily tossed them into the deep fryer.




With a side of salsa and some grilled tortillas it was by far the best chicken I have had in a LONG time... I ate everything but the bones.... mmm quite a delicious (and pricey) misunderstanding...

2 comments:

Lee Jones said...

You still have a store?

B is for Boring said...

ohh no - I was working at Dad's Store...